Our new Head of Production: Cindy Rodkin

I started working in the advertising industry in 1988 at GREY PHILLIPS BUNTON MUNDEL AND BLAKE and held various positions.  I left after a year when I was offered a position as Production Co-ordinator at THE VISION CORPORATION (TVC)  with Esther Campbell and Giaco Angelini in 1989, where I was promoted after a year to Line Producer, handling on average 3 shoots a month for 2 years. Next up I joined THE GATEHOUSE as Producer for Dan Roberts – a position I held for 4 years. 

In February 1998 I found myself at the Johannesburg branch of VELOCITY AFRIKA as Producer for a new Director - Lizelle Mes.  In the 2 years I was there, Lizelle and I grew from being an unknown team shooting charity jobs and small local productions to international players, pitching for jobs against the likes of Tony Kaye and Jonathan Glazer.

From 2001 to 2003, I worked with Ricardo de Carvelho at VELOCITY CAPE TOWN shooting local and international commercials, as well as with MAXIMUM, ORANGE FILMS and THE SHOOTING GALLERY. I also produced in Kenya for BLUE SKY FILMS, during which time I completed various commercials, a 6 week shoot for a BBC-backed soap opera for Africa called Heart and Soul, and 3 months on a PARAMOUNT BRITISH PICTURES feature as Production Supervisor on the Kenyan leg of Tomb Raider II – Lara Croft and the Cradle of Life. Another highlight was working 17 weeks on a shoot for RODINI FILMS as Line Producer for a South African feature film shot in the Karoo called “The Story of An African Farm”, which featured Richard E Grant and Armin Mueller-Stahl.   

Between 2004 and 2009, I freelanced on a variety of commercials and feature films with some of South Africa's top production companies, including Egg Films (with Larry Hamburger), The Shooting Gallery,  Navigator Films, Orange Films and Moonlighting where I was the Line Producer for a GRANADA UK, ITV1, stunt-based reality show called “Scream if you want to get off”. My work took me to Argentina, Greece, the Maldives and Tanzania. I also pursued green light status on a romantic comedy with RODINI FILMS to be shot in Cape Town and Greece. I  spent 2 months setting up a TV series in Johannesburg called “Life is Wild” for PARAMOUNT USA and COMPANY PICTURES UK,  as well as a month in Mozambique on a documentary called “Africa Man”.

In 2010 I shot various TVC's,  budgeted 2 feature films, developed 2 documentaries and 1 reality show with ENGAGE Group, and developed a short film to be shot in Paris.

To summarise then… I have been in film production for the past 21 odd years, 16 of which have been as Producer. All of the productions that I worked on came in on schedule and under budget and many have received accolades and awards. I have tried to choose productions that offer me a chance to experience new issues, challenge my abilities and broaden my knowledge of the film industry.
__________________________________________________________________________________________

"The local production company we worked with in SA brought Cindy on to produce from their end. I was extremely impressed with the way she set up the location scout and how she immediately got the concept of the show both editorially and logistically. South Africa certainly had everything we wanted location wise, but one of the main reasons I made the decision to bring the production there was I felt Cindy would be able to make it happen from her end.

Her instincts were impeccable from the Art Director she brought us to the Stunt Coordinator she recommended to the local crews she hired. We had a short time to pull off a big project and were successful in no small part thanks to Cindy.

I would not hesitate to recommend her and would look forward to any project I could work with her on in the future. She is sharp, intuitive, conscientious, dedicated, and both respected and well liked by all those who work with her and for her. She is a master problem solver and a real find."
- Chris Lore, Granada Productions


"Cindy Rodkin joined the project via the local service company, having worked previously with them on other project in Kenya.  Her previous Producing experience was quick to show its benefits as she took control of the local requirements, sourcing out budget figures, crew and our various equipment and supply needs.

Her capacity to manage the local crew and suppliers was second to none and her persistence in creating suitable working legal documents for all manor of contract was to prove invaluable.  She and I quickly became a close working partnership and many difficult situations were overcome by her ever-clear thinking mind.

She was a superb asset to both the local service company and the project.  Hard working and a great team leader, she has seen it all and would be a much-missed team member on any African project I ever do."
- Jeremy Johns, Paramount British Pictures Limited


"Cindy took over the budget, which was already set and considered a fairly low budget for a period piece film. She handled each department concisely and with strength. She was able to further negotiate very good deals with suppliers and was relentless in receiving better deals, interest rates and reducing bank charges etc.

At the complete of shoot Cindy had brought the film in under budget giving us extra finance to put into postproduction.

She handled all contracts and scrutinized each of them thoroughly. She also had to deal with SAG (Screen actors Guild of America) on 2 of our international artists, which she did very well. The contracts and issues were all very complicated and I believe she has gained a good understanding of this union and how their rules and regulations work. Cindy has also had to deal with the Reserve bank for payments being made out of the country.

I highly recommend Cindy as a Line Producer and found her to be incredibly efficient, thorough and loyal."
- Bonnie Rodini, Karoo Horizon Pictures

No comments:

Post a Comment